Windows 10 often brings new updates. Most of the time it is obligatory to conduct these updates. This is exactly why we have to face some errors even if it’s not our fault. Such errors are called windows update errors. A prominent error amongst these is the windows 10 update error 0x80240fff.
The error 0x80240fff occurs majorly due to improper installation of the windows update. Another reason that can give birth to this error is the corrupted or broken system files. Anyway, this error can be tough for you. Especially, when you are trying to perform any urgent task.
No need to panic. You have landed in the perfect place. Here, you will find the answers to the feature update to Windows 10, version 1703 – error 0x80240fff. All you have to do is to follow the methods that we are going to introduce. So, without further delay let’s jump straight into it.
What are the solutions to windows 10 update error 0x80240fff?
There are multiple solutions to this issue. That is why you have to perform each solution one by one until you find the most appropriate solution. Your goal is to find the solution that works out well for you.
Also, don’t forget to create a backup of your files in order to avoid any kind of data loss.
Solution 1: Use Windows Update troubleshooter
Windows has an in-built tool that is capable of rectifying windows update errors. It can automatically detect and resolve the issue on its own. Let’s see how to use it.
- First of all, you will have to press the windows+I keys simultaneously.
- Next, choose the update&security tab.
- Select Troubleshoot option and then go to windows update.
- Finally, you have to click the button named to run the troubleshooter. The troubleshooter will start the scan.
After the troubleshooting is done don’t forget to reboot your computer.
Solution 2: Windows update components Reset
Resetting the windows update components can give afresh start for the windows update. The essential process will restart and hence, will solve the problem you are facing. You can do this by following these instructions.
- Press the Windows + R keys. Now, simply type services. msc. Click Ok.
- Next, right-click the services console window. You will have to choose the option named stop.
- Stop the services called windows update, BITs, and Superfetch.
- Now, you have to navigate to a file destination named as C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- The next step is to delete each and every file in this folder.
- Go to C:\Windows\System32. Simply rename the cartoot2 folder as cartoot2.bak.
- Simply restart the services that you just stopped.
- Reboot your device.
Also Read, How to Fix Windows Update Error 0x80070057?
Solution 3: Updating windows manually
The core issue of this error is that the installation of windows could not be done as it was intended to. So, we just have to update the windows manually to solve the problem. First, type windows update on the search bar of your start menu. Now, select the result that appears. On the page, choose to update the windows.
Here, you will have to select the latest version of windows. Also, remember to check if the version you have selected is compatible with your device’s specifications.
Once the download and installation are complete, you will have to restart your computer.
Solution 4: Use command prompt as admin
- Launch the command prompt as an admin. To do it press the Windows + X keys.
- Execute these commands in the prompt.
net stop wuauserv net stop cryptSvc net stop bits net stop msiserver Ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old Ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 Catroot2.old net start wuauserv net start cryptSvc net start bits net start msiserver
- After executing the commands, reboot your computer to save the changes.
Solution 5: Disable third-party antivirus
Antivirus sometimes blocks the windows update. This is because the antivirus includes windows update as malicious activity. So, you have to reconfigure the settings or you will have to uninstall the antivirus.
You just have to uninstall the software until the error is rectified. You can install it back as soon as the error has been corrected.
Solution 6: Disable windows firewall
Another possible reason for this error is that your firewall is blocking. Simply change the firewall settings and check If there is anything suspicious that might intervene with the windows update, you will have to change it.
These were the solution to this error. Hopefully, we could help in resolving your error. If so, you can check out our other articles. These articles will help you out with problems.