The windows update error 0x80080005 is an error that you may encounter when there is an issue with the download and install of the windows update. Majorly, 0x80080005 occurs because of a third-party antivirus. The antivirus tends to block the update because it considers the update as malicious activity. The error 0x80080005 comes with an error message that states that the installer encountered an error 0x80080005.
As windows 10 updates are obligatory, there is nothing much you can do to cease it. There is a cent percent chance that you can experience these kinds of update errors. Even if you wish to penetrate these updates, there is very little you can do.
It is a great thing though, windows want its users to have the best experience. The windows updates consist of solutions to bugs, new features, a better interface, and much more. Unfortunately, it is the error that we had to face while conducting these updates.
Anyway, you don’t have to worry much about it. Just because we are here to help you. In this article, you will get the perfect set of solutions that can eradicate this error from your system. So, without further delay let’s get the ball rolling.
What are the solutions to windows update error 0x80080005?
There are multiple solutions to this error. You just have to follow each solution one by one until you figure out the solution that works out for you. Also, it is important to create a backup of your files to avoid data loss.
Solution 1: Run Windows Update troubleshooter
The Windows update troubleshooter is a great tool that can help in eliminating such errors. So let’s see how you can use it to rectify this error.
- First of all, press the windows+I keys.
- Now, choose the update&security option.
- Next, you have to select the Troubleshoot tab and then choose windows update.
- Finally, select run the troubleshooter. The troubleshooter will get started.
When the troubleshooting is done, you have to reboot your computer.
Solution 2: With Windows update components
Often comes the time when the update components generate trouble. You just have to rest them to get things going smoothly. You can do this by performing these instructions.
- First of all, simultaneously press the Windows + R keys. Type services.msc and click on Ok.
- Now, select the services console window. Click on stop.
- Stop the services named windows update, BITs, Superfetch.
- Now, navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Delete all the files that are located in this folder.
- Go to the file destination C:\Windows\System32. Simply, rename the cartoot2 folder as cartoot2.bak.
- Restart all the services that you previously ceased.
- Finally, you have to reboot your computer to save the changes.
Solution 3: SFC scan
An SFC scan helps in removing the corrupted and broken files. To conduct the SFC scan, open the command window and type sfc/scannow. You will have to enter the command %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. The scan will get initiated. You have to wait till the scan gets completed. Don’t close the window down till the scan reaches 100%.
You will come across a message that states the corrupted files have been repaired. Restart your computer, after the process.
Solution 4: Update windows manually
Sometimes, there can be an error in the automatic updates. So, we just have to download it manually. We will tell you how to do it.
- Initially, enter windows update on the search bar of your start menu.
- Now, select the result that appears.
- Next, you will see the option to update the windows. Click on it. Remember, the version you select should also have the specifications that match your device.
- Finally, select the latest version of Windows from the list of versions.
- Restart your computer and check if the error still exists or not.
Solution 5: DISM scan
Don’t freak out. You don’t have to download any separate tool or anything. DISM is an inbuilt tool that can harness a scan to remove faulty files. You just need to launch it to get things started. So, here is how you can conduct a DISM scan.
- First of all, launch the command prompt.
- Remember to run it as an administrator.
- Execute this command in the command prompt.
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Hit the enter key.
- The broken windows files will be repaired.
- If, the above command tends to fail in repairing the files, enter this command.
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:C:\RepairSource\Windows /LimitAccess
Solution 6: Register system files
You have to register the system files because they are important for downloading the .dll files in one single package. This is helpful for us in many ways. So, here is you can perform this.
- Launch run window by pressing the Windows +R keys.
- Execute these two commands one by one.
regsvr32 Qmgr.dll /s regsvr32 Qmgrprxy.dll /s
- Restart your computer.
Solution 7: Check your antivirus
If none of the above-mentioned solutions did wonders for you then the reason could be this. Your antivirus is blocking your updates. Third-party anti-viruses are sometimes configured in such a way that they are suspicious about even the basic windows functions. Well, this could be a good thing as it enhances system security.
For us, it’s creating problems. So, you have to either configure in such a manner that it does not block Windows updates or you have to uninstall the software. You can uninstall it temporarily. At least till you finish updating your windows.
Solution 8: Use media creation tool
- Firstly, download the media creation tool.
- Launch the tool and choose to Upgrade this PC now.
- Windows 10 will get downloaded.
- You have to accept the license agreement.
- Choose Download and install updates (recommended), click Next.
- You have to wait a while for the downloads to get installed.
- Keep following the instructions on the screen till you come across the Ready to install screen. Select Change what to keep and then choose to Keep personal files and apps. Click on Next.
- The installation will get started.
These were the solutions to windows update error 0x80080005. Hopefully, you were able to rectify this error using our methods. If you want to get answers to other errors, do check out other articles by us.
Also Read, Troubleshooting Windows Update Error 0x80070424