Windows error code 0x80070057 is an error that Windows users are familiar with for ages. It has been haunting us at least since the time of Windows XP. Also, you will see an error message that states error 0x80070057: the parameter is incorrect. Though it is a complex error for the system but with the recent updates and technology, we have new techniques to eradicate this error.
Anyway, with our help, you will be able to destroy the error 0x80070057 in just a matter of time. All you have to do is to carefully follow the methods that we are going to present. Also, you must create a backup of your data in order to avoid any kind of data loss.
By the end of this article, you will have thorough knowledge about this error. Also, we will figure out the best solution for the windows update error 0x80070057. So, without further ado let’s get straight into it.
What is Windows update error 0x80070057?
As the name suggests windows update error 0x80070057 is an update error that can occur during the update of the windows operating system. It is also known as the variant of the Unspecified parameters encountered. Sometimes, it is called an unknown error.
It comes with an error code that states error 0x80070057 the parameter is incorrect. Now that we know what this error is, it is time for us to understand when this error usually occurs.
When does the error 0x80070057 occur?
This error can occur in several instances. It is also possible that you may experience multiple cases So, let’s see them one by one.
- When you try to back up your files and the file is corrupted.
- It can happen when you are installing the windows operating system and there is a corrupted system reserve partition.
- Your windows registry is broken or corrupted.
- Your system had some problem in installing the updates
Well, these trivial issues can cause havoc like the error 0x80070057. Just like a little butterfly effect. Anyway, there should not be any worries though. We are going to figure out the solutions to this agitating error. Let’s begin.
Solutions to Windows update error 0x80070057
We will introduce a bunch of solutions that are capable of rectifying this error. You just have to follow each method one by one until you find out the right solution that works the best for you. So, without further delay let’s see the solutions to this error.
Solution 1: Using the troubleshooter
- First of all, you have to go to the start menu and in the search box, you have to type in the troubleshooter.
- You will have to double click on the result to open the settings.
- Now, scroll down, and in the Getup and running section you will have to choose the option named windows update.
- Next, click on run the troubleshooter.
- You just have to wait till the troubleshooter figures out the problem. Once the diagnose is complete, you will have to select the option named apply this fix. Later, wait till the troubleshooter repairs your windows update.
- When the whole process has been carried out, you will have to restart your computer. This will help in saving the changes.
Solution 2: By renaming the software distribution folder
In this method, you just have to rename the software distribution folder in order to eradicate this error. Let’s see how to do that.
- Initially, simultaneously press the windows+R keys.
- A run window will popup on your screen.
- Simply type in %SystemRoot% in the window and later hit the enter key.
- A list will appear, you have to scroll down till you find the folder named software distribution.
- You just have to right-click on this folder and rename it as SoftwareDistributon.old.
- Finally, restart your computer to save the changes.
Solution 3: With the help of services
- Firstly, in the search box of the start menu, you will have to type in services.
- Simply double click on the result to open the services tab.
- In the list that appears, you will have to search for windows update. It’s time for you to right-click on it and select the option of properties.
- Under the General tab, you have to go to startup type and then set it to automatic. Finally, click on apply and later on okay.
- When the process is done you have to reboot your system.
Solution 4: Command prompt
- You will have to open the command prompt by searching cmd in the search bar of the start many.
- When the result appears you will have to right-click on the command prompt and run it as an administrator.
- Now when the command window opens up you have to enter the following commands one after one. To do that you just have to press the enter key.
SC config wuauserv start= auto
SC config bits start= auto
SC config cryptsvc start= auto
SC config trustedinstaller start= auto
- Finally, after executing these commands, you have to restart your computer.
Solution 5: Modifying Windows registry
- If none of the above processes worked out for you, then this could be it. You will have to make changes to the Windows registry to resolve this issue.
- First of all, press the Windows + R keys.
- Simply, type Regedit and hit the enter key.
- Now you have to enter the following commands into the run window.
- After making these changes you have to conduct a reboot of your system. Also, try updating your windows again.
Solution 6: SFC scan
- As mentioned earlier, you have to run the command window as an admin.
- Now, when the window opens up you have to type in sfc/scannow.
- As soon as you type this, the command will start processing. This may take a few minutes to execute.
- Please remember that you should not close the command window until the process gets to 100%.
- After the scan is complete, you will receive a message stating that the files have been repaired.
- You can check if the error still persists or not.
So, these were the solutions to this error. Hopefully, you could resolve this issue of yours using our methods. Also, don’t forget to check out how to fix- windows update error 80092004. It will surely be productive and useful for you.