The feature update to windows 10, version 1903 – error 0x80070020 can occur due to a lot of reasons. As it is an update error the reasons primarily revolve around that factor of download and installation. Mostly, your system is not able to download and install the update properly which in turn arises this problem.
Any way this can turn out to be a frustrating error. You will be worried. You don’t have to though. We will figure out the best solution for you through this article.
So, before we get into detailed solutions, here are some simple tricks that you can apply to resolve the update error 0x80070020. These are some quick tips that may rectify the error in most of the devices. Also, don’t forget to make a backup of your data before carrying out these solutions. This will help you in avoiding any kind of data loss.
Quick tips to solve Windows error code 0x80070020
- The very first thing that you have to check is that your system has enough disk space to conduct the windows update. This error may arise if you do not have enough space in the C drive.
- Another thing you have to make sure of is that you have a steady and strong internet connection. If your ping is high then there is a colossal chance that you may have to encounter the download error – 0x80070020.
- The next thing that you can perform is that you have to open the run window and then enter appwiz.cpl. This will open up the program and features tab. Here, you have to uninstall the third-party anti-virus that has been installed on your device.
- You can also try switching your windows into a clean boot state and then try installing the update.
These were the quick methods that you can try out on your computer. Even after trying the above mentioned quick methods, your errors persist then you should check out the following solutions.
Solutions to install error – 0x80070020
Solution 1: Windows Update troubleshooter
It is a powerful tool that can rectify all windows update related issues automatically. You just have to run the tool and wait till it detects the issue and clears it out. Let’s see how to do it.
- First of all, you will have to press the windows+I keys.
- Now, you have to click the update&security tab.
- Choose Troubleshoot option and then select the windows update option.
- Finally, you have to run the troubleshooter. The troubleshooter will inception its work.
When the troubleshooting process is complete, you have to reboot your computer.
Solution 2: Resetting the windows update components
In most cases, the disordered windows update component causes trouble. So, to rectify it, you just have to set it up correctly. To do this, you will have to follow these instructions.
- First of all, you have to press the Windows + R keys simultaneously. Simply type in services. msc and then click Ok.
- Now, right-click the services console window and then select stop.
- Stop the windows update, BITs, Superfetch services.
- You have to navigate to C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download
- Delete every single thing in the folder.
- The next step is to visit C:\Windows\System32. You now have to rename the cartoot2 folder as cartoot2.bak.
- Just restart the services that you previously ceased.
- Finally, restart your computer to apply the changes.
Solution 3: Check if the windows drivers are updated
You will have to make sure that your drivers are updated to the latest version. Especially, the Display Driver, Network Adapter, and Outdated Display driver. You have to check if they are intact or not.
Solution 4: Run an SFC scan
You simply have to run an SFC scan to rectify this error. To do this you just have to open the command prompt and type in sfc/scannow. Then just enter the command %WinDir%\System32\dllcache. After doing this, the scan will start. You just have to sit back and chillax. Do not close the window till it reaches 100%.
After the scan I complete, you will see a message that states that the corrupted files have been repaired. Just restart your computer when it is done.
Solution 5: Try updating the windows manually
If none of the above-mentioned solutions worked fine for you, then you must try updating the windows update manually. To do this you just have to type windows update on the search bar of your start menu. Now, click on the result and you will see an option to update the windows. Click on that. Finally, you will have to choose the latest version of the windows from the tab that opens up. Also, check if the windows version and your device have compatible specifications or not.
You will have to restart your computer after the update is over. Check if the windows error 0x80070020 still exists or not.
So those were the solutions to windows error 0x80070020. We hope that we could help you out in eradicating your issue. If so, do check out Methods to Fix- potential windows update database error detected. It will surely be pretty informative and productive for you.