The Windows error 0x80070002 is a common error that many Windows users face. This error can appear as either error 0x80070002 or download error – 0x80070002, essentially both of them are the same error. This can be a tricky error as there is very little available on the internet to resolve this error. Well, you don’t have to take all the hectics, that’s why we are here after all.
This is a thorough article about the Windows error – 0x80070002, you will find very dynamic solutions that are capable of kicking out the error code 0x80070002. You just have to follow each step of each method carefully in order to rectify this error. Without further delay let’s jump straight into it.
We should know why this error occurs though, so let’s see that first.
What is the reason for Windows error – 0x80070002?
The major issue that causes this error to take place in the first place is that any of the files are corrupted. The damaged or corrupted files cause chaos in the operating system. This will eventually lead to the blockade in the update of Windows. You might also encounter Windows Update Error 0x80080008.
Now, that we know what causes this error, we can easily avoid it from happening in the future. So, it is now time for us to figure out the solution for this error.
Solutions for Windows error – 0x80070002
These are the solutions to the feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 – error 0x80070002. You have to carry out each process one by one until you find the one that works out fine for you.
Solution 1: Check your date and time Settings
As trivial and ridiculous it may sound to you, the effectiveness of this solution is out of this universe. A major cause of this error can be the wrong time and date settings. So you just have to correct it by synchronizing your computer’s & internet’s time settings. Just follow these steps to get this done.
For Windows 7&8
- At the bottom right of your screen, you have to click on the time and date button. After that click on change date and time settings.
- Click the change date and time button to change the time. Then click on Ok.
- Now, you have to click on the change time zone button in order to check the correct time zone.
- On the top, you will see a tab named Internet time. Click on that. Afterward, click on change settings.
- You have to tick the box in front of Synchronize with an Internet time server. Just click on update and then on Ok.
- Finally, restart your computer for applying the changes.
For Windows 10:
In windows 10 you can change the time settings using the command prompt.
- Type cmd in the search box of your start menu.
- Right-click on the command prompt and then select run as an administrator option.
- Now click on yes.
- You have to type in time, date, and w32tm/resync respectively in the command windows. Hit enter after each command. In case the time and date are incorrect you can edit and enter the right time and date. Finally, press enter.
You have to restart your computer after the completion of the commands.
Solution 2: Running Windows Update Troubleshooter
This is an awesome inbuilt tool by windows, we sure can make the best out of it. The windows update troubleshooter can automatically detect the issue and resolve once launched. So here’s how you can do it.
- Press the windows+I keys simultaneously.
- Click on the update&security option.
- Select Troubleshoot and then choose windows update and later run the troubleshooter. The troubleshooter will start its work.
The troubleshooter will automatically detect the issue and resolve it, you just have to wait till it’s over. After it gets completed you will have to restart your computer.
Solution 3: Configuring the windows update installation files
Mostly, the feature update to Windows 10, version 1803 – error 0x80070002 happens because the update of the system could not be completed. The cause for this file damage or corruption of files. You just have to rectify the corrupted files to fix the error 0x80070002. Here is how to do this.
First step: Turning the windows update service off
- Initially, press the windows+R keys simultaneously to open the run window.
- Simply type in services.msc and then click on OK.
- From the list, you have to find windows update and then double click on it.
- In the startup type select automatic. Click on Start in the service status menu and finally click apply and then ok.
Just restart your PC to save the changes.
Second step: Deleting the folder of Software Distribution
- The first step for you to do is to double click the drive where your windows have been installed. Generally, it is in the C drive.
- Go to Windows and then on the Software distribution folder.
- Just delete the software distribution folder.
- In case you don’t intend to delete this folder, you can rename it to softwaredistributionold.
Third step: Enabling the windows update service
You just have to follow the first step of this method and then right-click the windows update option and press start. Don’t forget to restart your computer to save the changes.
Solution 4: Resetting the windows update component
You have to manually reset the windows update component. This will delete the buggy and corrupted files. To do this follow these instructions.
- The initial step is to open the Run window by pressing the windows+R keys simultaneously. Then type in services.msc and click on Ok. This will open up the windows update service.
- Find windows update and then right-click on it to select stop.
- Do the same step for the services called Background Intelligent Transfer Service and super fetch.
- Minimize the window and navigate to C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download.
- You have to delete every single file in this folder. All these are cache files.
- Now, you have to start all the services that you previously stopped.
After completing this solution you have to carry out the very next solution in order to rectify this error.
Solution 5: Manually install windows update
Just visit the windows update page of Microsoft and then download the latest version of Windows according to your device type ( 32 bit or 64 bit). After downloading just install the file by following the instructional tab. Finally, restart your computer to install the windows operating system successfully. This will rectify this error.
Solution 6: Modifying the Windows registry editor
If none of the above methods worked out for you, then you can try out this method to eliminate this error. Also, remember to run the media creation tool before carrying out this process.
- Hit the windows+R keys.
- Just type in regedit and hit enter. You will have to grant the admin permissions to proceed further.
- Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade
- Now, select the key named OSUpgrade. In the empty area of the registry pane right-click and select New and then DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- You have to right-click on the newly created newvalue#1 and choose modify.
- Change the name to AllowOSupgrade. Enter value data as 1. Also, choose the base as hexadecimal, finally click on Ok.
You will have to restart your system to apply the changes that have been made.
These were the solutions to this error. Hopefully, you could resolve your error using our article. Do check out our other informative articles to increase your experience. Also, don’t forget to make a backup of your data before performing these solutions to avoid any kind of data loss.