The dynamicity of Quickbooks is such that it doesn’t need any specific introduction. It is on the top list among various accounting software in the world. Yet, it is subjected to many Quickbooks errors. In this guide, we are going to learn about one such Quickbooks that won’t open errors. Well, you are not the only one receiving this error as it is a common issue and you can also root out it easily.
This guide will be a great help for all the users out there. So, keep reading the guide and get to know about the error issue in a more detailed way. It’s an assurance from us that till the end of the article, you will become clever enough to identify the cause, symptoms, and techniques to resolve the error. Now, let’s get into the guide with the little brief of Quickbooks won’t open.
Quickbooks Won’t Open: A Brief Introduction
Quickbooks won’t open occurs at the time of accessing the Quickbooks desktop with the error message that states that Quickbooks desktop won’t open or doesn’t start.
Whereas, in some cases, the system freezes instantly without displaying any kind of error message. This contributes to the corruption within the QB file. Well, there are several factors responsible for all these hindrances. To know them, read below:
My Quickbooks Won’t Open: Responsible Factors
There can be many factors that can help the error to exist in the system. We have to root out each of them to fix the issue.
- Having a corrupted hard disk can lead to an error.
- If there is an incorrect installation of the Quickbooks desktop.
- When the QBWUSER.INI file gets missing or damaged.
- Additionally, if the file size is bigger and larger than the actual size.
- The outdated operating system can be another cause of the error.
- Using the incorrect and outdated version of Quickbooks to access the company file.
- Hidden issues with the reports in the file.
- Applying an incorrect method to open a QB file can also lead to the error.
These trivial issues can cause havoc like Quickbooks won’t open the company file. But with the correct troubleshooting, we can easily resolve this agitating error. Now, let’s get into the identification of the error that will guide you in detecting the error.
Quickbooks Won’t Open the Company File: Symptoms
Given below are the general symptoms that will inform you about the corruption within the Quickbooks file.
- If the system freezes periodically.
- Slow response of the system to the inputs of mouse and keyboards.
- Occurrence of error messages like Quickbooks has stopped working or Quickbooks won’t open.
- The user fails to access the company file.
- Freezing of the QB software.
- Windows running at a snail’s pace.
These are all the signs that keep on emerging in the system till the error is resolved.
Tips to Know before Troubleshooting
Try to consider all these tips before moving to the troubleshooting of Quickbooks won’t open the company file.
- Repair the Quickbooks Desktop Installation.
- Try to rename the TLG and ND files for the company file.
- Restrain Quickbooks Desktop installation.
- Disable the hosting on all the workstations.
- Update the QB desktop with the latest available version.
Now that we have understood the causes, symptoms, and these important tips. It’s time to proceed with the troubleshooting method. So, let’s get into it.
Techniques to Troubleshoot Quickbooks Won’t Open
There are various techniques that you can use to eliminate this software error. Just ensure to perform all these relevant methods until the error is resolved.
Technique 1: Download and Run Quick Fix My Program for the Quickbooks Tools Hub.
Quickbooks tool hub comes as the savior for all the software users whose system keeps on corrupting with the errors issue. It is the hub of the most dynamic tools. With this tool, we can tackle company file, installation, and multi-user errors in minimal time. At this time, we are trying to do the same by using one of the most advanced tools Quick Fix my Program.
- The first thing that we need to do is to download the Quickbooks Tool Hub from the official site of Intuit.
- Once downloaded, save the file on the Windows desktop or the location where it can easily be recognized.
- Now twice tap on the downloaded file (QuickBooksToolHub.exe)
- In the next step, try to install the program by following the on-screen commands and agree to the terms and conditions.
- After the installation procedure becomes finished, double-click on the QB tool hub icon to launch the tool.
- When it opens successfully, select the Program Problems tab.
- Consequently, choose Quick Fix my Progam.
- Now just wait for few seconds and then start the Quickbooks followed by opening the data file.
Technique 2: Download and Run Quickbooks Install Diagnostic Tool
Resolving different kinds of errors is just a slight issue for the tools like Quickbooks Install Diagnostic Tool. The tool is developed to diagnose the issues with the aid of the Microsoft components. Microsoft Components is used in the QB software that includes Microsoft .NET Framework, Microsoft Visual C ++, and Microsoft MSXML.
Furthermore, the tool can resolve the Quickbooks errors that appear at the time of installation of the software. So, use this knight in shining armor and resolve the error issue.
- The first and foremost step for you to do is to open the Tool Hub application on the system.
- Now choose the Installation issues from the side corner.
- After that select Quickbooks Install Diagnostic Tool.
- Once it is finished the process then reboot the system. As it will modify the system with all the changes.
- In the final step, start the software and try to access the company file.
Technique 3: Access the Company file from a different folder location.
Most of the time the folder contains the QB file gets corrupted and damaged. So, to save the data stored in the company file, we just need to modify the location of the folder which we can easily do with the guidance of these steps:
- Firstly, you need to tap on the Windows + E button.
- Secondly, try to spot the file with extension .qbw. Now, if the file is located on a network server then you need to browse to the network drive that has the data file.
- Once completed the above procedure, tap right on the company file and choose the Copy option.
- After that, try to spot the C: Drive and consequently make a new folder.
- At this stage, try to name the newly made folder QBTEST.
- Moving on, you are recommended to launch the new QBTEST folder and also paste the company file into the same folder.
- Later on, you need to open the Quickbooks accounting software and press the CTRL-key.
- In the next step, tap on Open or Restore an existing company and also try to examine the C:\QBTEST folder that is formed earlier.
- Lastly, try to open the company file that you copy in the QBTEST folder.
You may also like: Ways to Manually Fix Quickbooks .Net Framework – [Solution Guide]
Technique 4: Block the QBW32.exe process
- Start the procedure by moving towards the Windows Taskbar.
- Then right-click on it and choose the Start Task Manager.
- In the next step, hit the process button and then select the Image name header.
- Once done, you can see that the previous step sorts the processes alphabetically.
- In the last step, end the process by tapping on it.
Technique 5: Remove or Rename QBWUSER.INI file
To clear the information consisted in QBWUSER.INI, we have to rename or deletes the file through these steps:
- The first step in the process is pressing the Windows + E button.
- Now tap on folder and search options under the organize tab.
- After that press the view tab.
- Moving on, choose Advanced settings > Hidden files and folders and select Show Hidden files and folders.
- Then hit on the OK button.
- Subsequently, visit My Computer > C: Drive > Documents > Your User Name > Local Settings > Application data > Intuit > Quickbooks Year.
- After finishing all these steps, tap right on the QBWUSER.INI file and select delete or rename options.
Key Note: The thing that needs to keep in mind is that the QB software automatically builds the new QBWUSER.INI
Technique 6: Using Clean Install for Uninstalling or Reinstalling Quickbooks
- First of all, tap on Windows + R button and open the Run command.
- After that enter Control Panel on the search bar and hit the OK button.
- The user now moves to the Programs and Features and tap on Uninstall a Program.
- Moving on, choose Quickbooks Desktop from the list of all software.
- And tap on the Uninstall button
Once done with the uninstallation process, you need to download and install the Quickbooks Clean Install Tool from the official website of Intuit with the lead of these steps:
- To begin, download the tool.
- Now go to the file location and install the application by following on-screen guidelines.
- Click on I accept and then try to open the Quickbooks Tool Hub.
- At this moment, click on Installation issues and then tap on the Clean Install Tool.
- Select the Quickbooks desktop version which is installed earlier and tap on the Continue button.
- Now you will see a message on the screen Please Install your copy of Quickbooks to the default location and hit the OK button.
After performing all these steps you are now prepared to reinstall the Quickbooks.
- To reinstall, insert the CD of Quickbooks desktop and follow the onscreen prompts.
- Try to provide QB’s Product and License number.
- Accordingly, follow the on-screen guidelines.
- Now tap on the Next button.
- In this step, just select the type of installation and choose Next > Install.
- You will now be good to go with QB software.
Technique 7: Make a New Window Admin user
- To initiate, click on the Control Panel and tap twice on the User Account.
- Now tap on the Manage User tab and select Add tab.
- After performing all these steps, try to mention the name as well as the domain of the admin.
- As well as hit the OK button.
- In this step, choose the administrator if you are a user of Windows 10.
- Tap on the finish tab which will redirect you to the user accounts dialog box.
- In the last step, hit the OK button.
Technique 8: Restrain Quickbooks Desktop Installation
- The first thing that you need to do is to right-click on the Quickbooks desktop icon.
- Now press on the CTRL key and select the open tab.
- Press and hold the CTRL key till the No Company Open Window appears.
- In the last step, just open Quickbooks.
Quickbooks won’t open is not a major issue. It’s like any other error and fault which needs to be fixed with the proper troubleshooting methods. In this guide, we have tried to do the same to help you out from this difficult situation. Implementing any of the above techniques can help in resolving the error. But, if you stick in the middle of the operation then reach out to the Quickbooks Technical Support team via calls, e-mails, and chats.