QuickBooks Error The File Exists is a kind of error that occurs in QuickBooks when you try downloading updates for payroll services, opening a state form or federal form, and making transactions of the scheduled liabilities. To begin with, this is just a glance for you but moving further, we will be talking about all the essential topics associated with this QuickBooks error. But the word QuickBooks pops up again and again, what is it?
QuickBooks is an accounting & management software that is designed by Intuit for financial businesses, management firms, and small scale to medium-scale accounting industries. Its user-friendly interface and easy-to-use features can be accessed by anyone across the globe. It tracks the employees’ and consumers’ data, manages tax reports, receipts, and bills, systemizes daily tasks and other stocks, etc.
With all such positives, there are still many negatives that restrict the user to make use of this software. You can encounter many errors, glitches, bugs, technical problems, etc. These issues faced in the system will hinder your work and cause delays in your project reports. For now, we will be focusing on one such error named QuickBooks Error The File Exists. Today, let us learn together.
What is Quickbooks Error The File Exists?
QuickBooks Error The File Exists is a Qbs error that happens in QuickBooks when you try downloading updates for payroll services, opening a state form or federal form, and making transactions of the scheduled liabilities. You will also get a text message frequently popping up on the computer screen: “QuickBooks windows error the file exists”.
What are the Causes For the Existence of QuickBooks Error The File Exists?
Different reasons can be there for the existence of Quickbooks the windows error was the file exists in the system. All such reasons are.
- Internet setup and network configuration are unstable and poor.
- The firewall settings & set up are incorrect.
- Accessing and opening multiple files altogether.
- The QuickBooks desktop software is pirated and outdated.
- Unclean and improper installation of the QBs application.
- The Internet security settings of your PC are not correctly configured.
- QuickBooks desktop is hindered by the Windows User Account Control (UAC).
- You are not granted admin account access on your PC.
A Few Go-To Steps For Diagnosing The Error
Before going on to the resolving methods, we are giving you the go-to points to be kept in mind for rectifying ‘the windows error was the file exists QuickBooks’ error easily. Read below.
- Hit on OK many times till the error message texts are 100 % updated.
- Now, exit the program and then open the QuickBooks application again.
- You also need to assure that the existing QuickBooks version is the latest released version.
- Exit the QBs Desktop software again and you need to reboot the system.
- After the reboot, do a right-click on the QuickBooks application and click on the tab named Run as Administrator.
6 Methods to Resolve QuickBooks Error The File Exists
Method 1: QuickBooks Desktop Software Update
To solve Quickbooks Windows Error Message The File Exists, the first solution is to update the QBs application software.
- On the prevalence of the error, click on the error text message continuously and then exit the software if the error is still present.
- Open the application software again and upgrade it to its latest released update.
- Update the QuickBooks to its latest upgrade:
- Go to the Help menu and access it.
- Select the option named Update QuickBooks Desktop.
- Click on the option of Update Now.
- After that, choose the option of Reset Update and remove all the previously available old updates manually downloaded.
- Tap on the tab Get Updates and the downloading process of the updates will begin.
- After this, click on the option named Install.
- Now, you must reboot your system.
- After the reboot, open the software with permission of the administrator rights:
- Do a right-click on the option named Program.
- Now, tap on the option of Run as Administrator.
In case your issue has been troubleshot, you can go to the settings to allow automatic updates. As the automatic updates are on, It will self-update the QBs software once they are available.
Method 2: Disable The Windows User Account Control (UAC)
- First, you will have to access the Windows settings.
- Go to the option User Account Control and tap on it.
- In case the UAC is on, then you should turn it off.
- Lastly, you need to restart the system and start with the update of QuickBooks Payroll Services.
Method 3: Reboot.bat File Use For Re-registering QuickBooks .DLL and .OCX File
The process of installation of QuickBooks is re-registered by Reboot.bat that aids in fixing the errors like the QuickBooks Error The File Exists. The step-by-step process is as follows.
- First, you need to exit the QuickBooks application software and other active programs.
- Access the QuickBooks desktop by tapping on the icon and choose the option named Properties.
- Choose the Open File Location and you will have a folder there with the name Reboot.bat.
- Tap on the Reboot.bat file and then select the option of Run as Administrator.
- In a few seconds, a command window dialog box will come up and close sequentially.
- Finally, you will have to reboot the system and check for the prevalence of the Quickbooks The Windows Error Was The File.
Method 4: Grant Full Control Access
- First, you need to do a right-click on the QuickBooks icon and select the option of Open File Location.
- Now, remove the file address by using the Backspace key.
- After that, again do a right-click on the QuickBooks folder and go for the option Properties.
- Search for the tab Security Section and tap on Edit.
- Choose the option Add and then select Everyone. Tap on OK.
- Now, you need to go for the option of Full Control.
- Hit on the option named Apply.
- After all these steps, complete the process by rebooting the computer system.
Method 5: QuickBooks Application Software Re-installation
- On the keyboard, use Ctrl + R and a run window will be seen.
- Under that window, type in “appwiz.cpl”.
- Click on QuickBooks two times and then you will have to select Uninstall.
- Doing as per the screen instructions, delete the software from your system.
- Once the uninstallation process is finished, do a clean installation from Intuits’ website again.
- After the download, you have to access the .exe QuickBooks file and install the application by doing as per the instructions of installation.
Method 6: Rectifying the File Exists Error While Printing
- On the keyboard, use Ctrl + R and a run window will come up.
- Type in the Control Panel and hit Enter.
- Choose the option named Devices and Printers.
- A list will come on the screen and you have to eliminate the printer having problems from the list.
- On the keyboard, use Ctrl + Alt + Del to open the task manager.
- Reach out for QBW32.exe and do a right-click on it.
- Hit on Yes to complete the process.
- Navigate to C Drive and then go to Program Data, Intuit and QuickBooks. (C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\(QuickBooks_version)\TSPrinterSettings\)
- Look for QBPRINT.qbp and delete this file.
- Finally, you will have to reboot the computer and try printing once again.
QuickBooks Error The File Exists is a Qbs error that happens in QuickBooks when you try downloading updates for payroll services, opening a state form or federal form, and making transactions of the scheduled liabilities. You will also get a text message frequently popping up on the computer screen: “QuickBooks windows error the file exists”. We have discussed all the concepts related to this error from its reasons for the occurrence to different solutions of troubleshooting the ‘Quickbooks Error THE FILE EXISTS’ error.
We are optimistic that you must have been enlightened with some knowledge but in case you are still stuck in this error then, you can make use of the chat and call option to connect with the QBs support and assistance team available across the world.