The QuickBooks error 20 is an error that usually occurs after the update of the OS. Some software just uses the application key to store the internal settings and then that software’s key is not often updated. The QB error Code 20 appears on the Quickbooks Desktop software and it is an error that users face often, typically when they try to upgrade their operating system from Windows 7 to 8 or 10.
This error causes the Quickbooks user to get blockade while printing the invoices and conducting payroll transactions. It is not a very difficult error to rectify though, with the help of this article you will have the accessibility to resolve this issue within just minutes, you will have to try out each process in order to get the best results. Before getting to know what the solutions are we need to keep in mind some important things, let’s see what they are.
Things to Remember about Quickbooks Error Code 20
You will need to keep a registry Backup before starting all the solutions to this error. To do this, the first thing that you will need to do is navigate to the Registry Editor, there you will have to click on the option named Computer. Now you have to select File and then Export. Finally, you have to click on Save.
You will also have to create a system restore point, you can find the option for this in your control panel.
Reasons for Quickbooks Error Code 20
There can be several reasons why this error is coming up, you can take precautions to avoid these errors in the future because precaution is always better than cure. So, let’s have a look at what these reasons are that causing this error to come up on your screen.
- The Quickbooks version that the user has might not be congruent with the windows operating system that the user is having.
- The user’s Windows registry can have errors.
- The installation of the software Quickbooks Desktop might not be done properly. The files might have gone corrupted or something has caused them to get damaged.
- The user’s system might have unsupported printer drivers.
- The Quickbooks application key has not been updated and is not up to date.
How to fix Quickbooks Error Code 20?
Solution: 1 Re-Install Quickbooks Software
In this method, we are required to uninstall the QB desktop and we will re-install it later. It is one of the best ways to clear out all the damaged and corrupted files. Let’s see how to do this.
- Open your control panel.
- The next step is to click on Programs and Features.
- Now, you will have to find Quickbooks in the wide range of applications that exist in your system.
- When you spot the Quickbooks software just right clock on it and you will see the option of Uninstall. You just have to click on it.
- After the uninstall is finished the user is required to download a fresh setup of Quickbooks from the official website and install it again.
- This will hopefully resolve your problem if it was related to any damaged files.
Solution: 2 Configure Windows Registry Settings
The user is required to update their registry key if it is not already updated. To update your registry key the user has to open their registry editor, in the search engine user has to type in Regedit as it is. Now click on Regedit and select the option of Run as administrator. Now the user will be able to access the registry folder, after right-clicking on the software folder, the user is required to select Permission. The user should check if they are being able to use the whole table as in having control of the table. Now just click on OK and just close the window and the registry editor. After doing this process hopefully, your error will be rectified, if not then check out the next solution.
Solution: 3 Stop Printer Spooler Service
This solution is about configuring the print spooler service, you will have to try this method because it is also a really effective solution to the QB error 20. To carry out this method the users have to:
- The very initial step is to press windows+R, this will open up the Run window.
- Now, the user is required to type MSC in the box of the run window.
- A list will appear and the user has to right-click on the Print Spooler Service from this list.
- You have to click on properties and then on stop the Printer Spooler Service.
- After doing that the user is required to select the automatic option.
- Now just press the Start the service.
- Finally, the user is required to try printing something or just try saving something as a PDF.
- If that works out fine then your error has been resolved.
You should also keep in mind to run a full system scan of your device every month to avoid these types of errors.
Solution: 4 Register Quickbooks License
If none of the above-mentioned solutions worked out well for you then this might be the solution that is going to bring the result for you. In this solution, the user is required to fix the Microsoft Document writer. Let’s have a look at how to do it.
- The user is required to right-click on the Quickbooks icon and now click on the open file location option.
- Now navigate to the temp folder, after doing that the user has to find the extension file named exe file.
- The user has to open Quickbooks once for license registration purposes.
- Finally, try printing again, and if the error has been rectified then great! Otherwise, just check the final solution.
Solution: 5 Disable UAC Controls
This process focuses on ceasing UAC from monitoring windows applications. To do this you first of all have to open your Control Panel. In the control panel look for User Accounts and click on it. Here you will see User access control settings, a slider will appear and the user is required to move it to never notify. Now finally, just click on the Ok tab. The user will have to reboot their system.
These solutions are really powerful and if done correctly in an orderly manner then can surely help in eradicating the error 20 of Quickbooks. Just don’t forget to take the precautions that have been mentioned in this article before trying out the solutions because if you do not back your data up then there are chances that you may lose some of the files. This will create chaos for your company files and you will have to find solutions to those. This is exactly why it is requested to back your data.
If even after trying out the solutions that have been mentioned in this article your problem is not solved then it is highly recommended that you contact the customer service of Quickbooks because they will surely figure out a way to rectify this error that you have been facing. while updating payroll, If you have encountered Quickbooks Error Ps077 then try updating Quickbooks Software to fix it.